AKE Researcher: Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
AKE International is recruiting for Contracted Researcher – Middle East and North Africa (MENA) to join AKE’s dynamic intelligence team in providing bespoke security and risk consulting.
The position will involve providing research and analytical support to the MENA desk. Applicants should have a knowledge of and strong interest in political, economic and security issues affecting the MENA region, and should be able to commit four days per week, for a minimum period of three months. Contracts will be extended beyond the initial three-month period where suitable to both parties.
Duties and Responsibilities may include:
- Contributing analytical and research support to AKE’s Iraq desk.
- Contributing to AKE’s Daily Risk Updates
- Writing incident reports on political violence and kidnap and ransom in the MENA region.
- Provision of analytical intelligence research for a range of public and private sector clients.
- Assistance in updating AKE’s online country intelligence platform Global Intake.
- Good knowledge of political, economic and security issues in the MENA region, with expertise in Iraq or Saudi Arabia.
- Hold or be currently studying for a Masters’ degree in a relevant subject (e.g International Relations, Middle Eastern Politics, Security, Development etc).
- Proficiency in at least one regional language – Arabic is preferred but not essential.
- Excellent English skills and ability to write in a clear and concise manner.
- Be able to commit to four days per week, seven hours per day.
- Candidates should have the right to work in the UK.
Candidates should email a CV, short cover letter and relevant unedited writing sample of no more than 350 words to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating the position they are applying for in the email subject line. Although this position is currently remote, candidates must have the right to work in the United Kingdom and should state this with their application.
Recruitment will occur on a rolling basis with the position to start in late May 2021.
*Please note AKE will only contact successful candidates*
AKE Remote Internship Scheme
AKE International is recruiting interns for its four-month remote, voluntary internship scheme to start on 31 May.
Applicants should have an excellent command of written English, a demonstrable background in international politics, security or a related field and preferably be working towards a master’s degree or equivalent experience. As this is a remote programme, applicants must have reliable internet access.
Please note that while this is a voluntary scheme, we aim to provide applicants with feedback and training as well as help and advice with future careers.
Applicants should have a specialist interest in one of the below regions or areas and should specify in the subject line of their application which desk they are applying for.
Each applicant may only apply for one desk:
- Europe/Former Soviet Union
- Latin America
- Middle East and North Africa
- Sub-Saharan Africa – interest in the Sahel, DRC or Nigeria is encouraged.
- United States
Duties and responsibilities may include:
- Contribute to AKE’s Daily Risk Updates.
- Contribute to updating AKE’s online risk platform Global Inatke, including Political Violence and Kidnap & Ransom.
- Assist in political risk consulting projects.
- Provide analytical intelligence for a range of public and private sector clients.
- Provide internal company reports and briefings.
- Candidates should be specialists in one of the aforementioned regions or areas and specify this regional/area interest in the subject line of their emailed application
- Candidates should only apply if they have sufficient time to contribute to the internship programme, usually around 10 hours per week. Although the tasks that candidates are requested to complete do vary, most interns are asked to contribute to AKE’s Daily Risk Updates, which will require a commitment of around two hours each weekday.
- Candidates should have a familiarity with political, economic and security trends in the relevant region/area and must be able to produce clear and concise analysis of pertinent events.
- Candidates will at least be working toward a bachelor’s degree but be preferably educated to post-graduate level in a relevant discipline. It would be advantageous to have some experience of the business sectors within which AKE works.
- Knowledge of one or more relevant regional languages is preferable.
Applicants should email a CV, short cover letter and relevant writing sample of no more than 350 words to email@example.com. Applicants may then be tasked with a writing exercise to assess their suitability for the scheme.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
*Please note that AKE will only contact successful candidates*
AKE runs a regional remote internship scheme for which recruitment occurs on a four-month cycle. If no positions are currently advertised please check back here periodically for further details and only apply when the formal advert has been placed.